Wednesday, June 01, 2005

another day

I have been here in La Paz for about a week now and things have been anything but dull. The situation here in La Paz has been one of civil unrest. Some of the farmers and teachers people have been marching throughout the streets and setting up blockades so that cars and mini busses cannot pass. My friend Randy who is a full time missionary here has been working with some of the shoe shiner fellas that I worked with last year and we have been teaching them basketball. The concept of teaching basketball to some guys who have never seen the game before let alone played it has proven to be a lot of fun. Although the city is seemingly falling apart in the down town area, everyone else just seems to think things are normal. In one street you will find over 500 men and women marching and protesting about the nationalization of the gas and other things, while others are playing soccer and going about life as normal. My time is going to be interesting. Randy and I are planning a backpacking trip for some of the guys. It is going to be a sort of reward to those who come to practice. In many ways this trip is going to be very different. I have other American friends, which is proving to be more beneficial that I thought. There are times when the idea of coming back in only another month and a half since so gray. Going back to school and getting back into the routine of things just does not sound good to me. Don’t worry I am planning on coming back (at least for now). I hope things with you (who ever reads this?) are well and I will write more latter.

Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Colby playing basketball! I bet that it is alot of fun to watch you teach those boys how to play. Can you dunk?

Jody