Thursday, June 09, 2005

A long night

The past few days have proven to be rather interesting. There have been marches and road blocks for the past 22 days or so. Over 80% of the major roads in Bolivia have been shut down; intercity transportation is next to nothing because there is no gasoline. The current president Carlos Mesa (who I meet at a movie) resigned a few days ago and now the parliament is tying to decide who will take over his position. The decision could push Bolivia into a civil war. With all this going on I would like everyone to know that I don’t feel threatened. I honestly don’t have any idea of what is going to happen over the next few days. If things continue to get worse I am thinking of going to Argentina or back to Chile for a few weeks until things settle down, but I guess I will just have to wait and see.

On a different note.

Last nigh I came down with a fever. One of those body aching, hot one second cold the next type things. I was over at one of my friend’s houses when I started to feel really bad, so I decided to lay down for a bit. As my temperature increased, the mother (I call her Hermana Charo) decided to pull out some Bolivian remedies to combat the fever. To start with she rubbed a Vicks type cream on my back, chest and feet and then put newspaper over the top of the cream to hold in the vapors (or so I was told). Then they covered my face with whipped eggs. I was told that it helps to draw out the temperature. I think they were just trying to take advantage of the sick gringo. I don’t know if those things were a contributing factor, but I must say I feel a lot better. I guess it’s just another day here in Bolivia. Thanks for reading

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been seeing it on the news all week.I was thinking "I hope that kid isn't out there throwing dynamite with those workers..."
j/k. man i hope you stay safe.It is good to hear that you do not feel threatened.
It is bad to hear that you won't be coming to visit!
I will be in Buenos Aires on Monday (June 20) so if you do need to escape a civil war, we can hang out.

chau
Joseph

colbycraige said...

hey man, don't count me out just yet. we'll just have to wait and see. I bet you are rather excited? Talk to ya soon,
colby

colbycraige said...

hey man, don't count me out just yet. we'll just have to wait and see. I bet you are rather excited? Talk to ya soon,
colby