Thursday, June 30, 2005

So what about a monastery?

I visited Lake Titicaca this weekend with a few of my friends, It was my first time to go and it was a very enjoyable time. One of the things that I enjoyed the most while I was there was the stars. I must say, the milky way is something to see if ever you find yourself in the southern hemisphere. We climbed a ways out of town and made our way on top of a mountain to escape the light pollution of the city and the starts were absolutely incredible. I could see the starts with more clarity than I ever before. While staring into the sky, I started to think about how nice clarity would be in my life. I then began to think about why it was that I could see the stars so clearly. I am far away from distractions, far from the city and far from light that hinders our vision.
I have read of how some people have found a seemingly real communion with God through silence and solitude. These are two things that are difficult for me or any American for that matter. While I was looking at the start I was just thinking about how sad it would be for a person to never have the opportunity to see the starts so clearly. In that same way, I think that maybe I am like a person who lives in the city; I have this idea and have heard stories of how things can be better, yet, I am not willing to leave the city.

I think I would like to spend time in a monastery or just time in nature, alone. Because what do I have to lose, I mean what if things really can be better. How sad would it be if I just never took the time to leave the busyness of life, to possibly hear or experience more of God?

9 comments:

Stephen said...

Colby,

Stop reminding me of things that I've been thinking about for a while but have been able to successfully shove on to back burners.

Monk-in-Training said...

Colby.
Here in Oklahoma there are a a few opportunities to visit the quite of a Monastery. St. Gregory's in Shawnee, Our Lady of Clear Creek in Hulbert (east of Tulsa) and the Benedictine one at Osage Hills in Sand Springs.
Also, developing a Rule of Life, or reading some of the works of Monks over the years may bring you closer to that which you desire.

Also a bit of silence in the city is available in Tulsa. A Contemplative Prayer group at St. Joseph's Monastery in Tulsa. I find it very stimulating to my Spiritual walk.

Email me if interested.

Anonymous said...

Colby
I surely have shared your thoughts in my journey.....
yet, you have to come out of the monastery at some point....then what?

Does the truths of Jesus "exclude" that future generation from His time known as "American culture"?

Did Jesus shut Himself away in a monastery to be alone with His Father?

I invite you to study how Jesus did it as told in the gospels....thank God Jesus did not shut Himself away from a starving, depleted world.

And besides, even if you went to a monastery, you still would have "the problem" with you....your old man.
And he'ld pester you in some other way while there as well....right?
The world is not my problem....I am my only problem. Who I seek to be free from is myself.....not a busy, noisy society. That is the facade on the real struggle.

And, yes, Jesus pulled away to secluded places to be with His Father....but only for a few hours.

Here is a verse I have been rolling around in my brain a few days....

"Repent ye therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out
when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord"
In Acts 2 or 4, I believe...

The only reason for true, heart repentance is to return to "intimate fellowship with God"....we miss Him!!!!
We can't live without Him....not because we miss His blessings....but, we miss HIM.

It is a heart matter...not a head matter.
I am learning to learn how to humble myself and repent before Him as a disciple of Christ. I tasting a "longing" to see the beauty of a Holy God....Who every time I see Him, I immediately see my own dirt...vivid....and I see my need to repent. Repentance becomes the doorway to fellowship back with God at any time...any moment in my very busy day....in my very confusing day. And Christ Jesus has now made "the way" for me to come back to my Heavenly Father in a moment's time.

And He Himself is "my peace"....He is the "Prince of Peace"....and He now lives in me! "Christ in you, the hope of glory"
I don't have to "go somewhere" to find the peace I was made to live in....I have Jesus in me and He is my life now....He Himself is my peace in a crazy, crazy world that seems so out of control!
"Be still and know that I am God"

Perhaps the greater miracle is not being able to see the stars on a clear night on a mountaintop....but having the love that knows that even though I can't see the stars because of the city lights, I KNOW they are there....because I know the One who made them loves me!

Anonymous said...

God wants you to move through this day with a quiet heart,
An inward assurance that He is in control,
A peaceful certainty that your life is in His hands,
A deep trust in His plan and purposes,
And a thankful disposition toward all that He allows.

Roy Lessin

colbycraige said...

Roy,

What is your email address?

I would like to hear a bit more if you have time, maybe we can talk a bit through e-mail.

thank you,
Colby

Anonymous said...

I put the writing by Roy Lessin for you, Colby....he is a friend of mine that I've known for years.
Is there any area in particular you want
to talk with Roy about....I could pass your request on to him ?

mr anonymous

colbycraige said...

Mr.anonymous,

maybe your name would be nice. Thank you for the comment, yet I was just a bit confused on who was talking there.

Anonymous said...

Not a chance, Mr Bolivia...
I'm having way too much fun!

Praying for you today....and the shoe shine crew!

mr a

Anonymous said...

Colby,

You've been on my mind alot lately. Sorry I haven't been in touch as I should. I would guess that it is almost time for you to come home (assuming you don't decide to stay - one never knows with you, which is part of your charm.) I'm sure that you have learned alot and gained many new perspectives during your time there. I can't wait to hear about them when you return. You're often in my thoughts, and always in my heart and prayers. Take care buddy. Talk to you later.

Jody