Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I am still in school

“A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plains, safeguards, policies, and coercions are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.”
Travels with Charley
I have been here a week and as the time passes I see all the more, that this trip is going to be very different from my last. I actually have a place that I can go to get away from people. This is such a nice relief, being that La Paz is a city of a million people and it seems that in every park, plaza, restaurant and even in the place that I call home (for the moment) seems to be full of people. I am beginning to see that I must approach not just my time here but life as some kind of a teaching tool. Here in Bolivia I am learning that I don’t understand people. I might to some degree understand Americans, but Bolivians? I don’t understand why so many people a marching. I don’t understand people in the church here nor do I understand all too much of this language. For this reason, I see the importance of becoming a student.
So let us learn.

6 comments:

Stephen said...

"I know nothing."
--Socrates

Stephen said...

ps. glad you made it safely. You've been on my mind.

Anonymous said...

Colby! It is so good to hear from you. You are missed. I haven't forgot about my promise to send you that book and a package. How are you? You will laugh, but randomly I am back at the Ranch this summer being a lifeguard...when you get back you should come by...I would love to see you--Teresa

Anonymous said...

coooolby.
stay out of trouble down there.
Want to recommend some books if you have the time?
I want to read on the flight and you are well read, so let me know what I should pick up.

Hope you are having a great time.

colbycraige said...

Stephen,

Man, its good to hear from you. How are things at the race track and how is the family?

Teresa,
How are things at the Ranch? I am looking forward to getting that book and I have a post card for you when things settle down, I will send it to you.

Joseph,

You should read anything about Che Guevara being that he is from Argentina. I also have bad news. There is no way that I can get down to see you before I leave. I am sorry man. But, the dates are not going to work out.

good bye to all,
Colby

Anonymous said...

Colby,
You are missed here at the ranch...I didn't realize how much you were a part of my summer last year until I came back and you weren't here....brother, you are so missed.....things are different here, but aren't they always? I will right more later...be safe and God bless you Colby.
Teresa