Thursday, January 25, 2007

Goodbye


I said goodbye to a good friend today. As we walked to the bus station my emotions were surging within me. It sucks to say goodbye, not know if you will ever see that person again. She was my best friend here in Zaragoza, from our first conversation we connected in a way that only happens a few times in a person’s life.
Our friendship started when I asked if she would be interested in a language exchange. I wanted to learn a little French and she wanted some help in English, so we set up a time. It took us an hour before we actually started talking about French, the conversation flowed and it was beautiful. We talked about life and what it means to love people. We were two people with very different backgrounds, but we shared a common desire to love.
When I lost Josh, she listened as we walked around the cold streets. She shared in my sorrow and for that I will be forever grateful. She is gone now, and a part of me is now missing. Of course we have made plans to see each other again, but often times those plans never come to pass. It hurts, but I am thankful for the friendship that has been developed over the past four months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that Colby.
However, I do remember talking about this kind of thing in our room in Parker. You told me about the friends in Bolivia you had met ... and how you had no idea if you would see them again, and about the value of meeting somone knowing someone who you know you will have to leave.
When I saw friends leave, I thought about our little chat. I wish you luck this semester Colby

Sohailah said...

good byes are always hard - I remember well saying good bye to many people I have never seena gain - there's some encouragement for you... now that I'm 40, I'm banning all restraints on what I say and write. No more filters :)