Monday, December 04, 2006

Josh. Lantz.



Josh-top left. Location: Bolivia, the Yunga Cruz trail. When:Summer 2005

As I walk along a small stream I pass over the fallen leaves, some still retaining hints of yellow, green and red. I walk with my hands tucked into my coat, my fingers slightly clinched around my thumbs, a habit since birth. Thoughts of a friend recently passed flood my mind. Like a movie, memories are replayed, sorrow, joy and hope come like the oceans tide, as joy recedes back into the ocean of memories sorrow surged forth. Oh my friend, your beautiful heart was unique. It was raw, wild and free.

He was a brother who often struggled to find his place in this materialist world.
Without shoes he serves, without a plan he departed.
His love displayed within his captivating eyes, blue and full of grace.
When tension rose, he sought expression through music.
His finger danced across the wood and metal following his joyous heart.

Josh, I am thankful for having the opportunity to serve with you in Bolivia. Looking through our pictures I can think of several stories that turned my sorrow into laughter. When I talk about you to my friends here in Spain, they are sad for not knowing you.
I remember when we finished the Choro trail and I came down with a stomach bug, and felt like I was going to die. You walked up to me with a cup that contained a gel-like substance that did not look appetizing at all. When I asked what was in it you said, “Banana, orange juice, and a few other berries that I pulled off those bushes.” When I looked into your eyes I thought that you were joking, but alas you were a sincere as ever, I declined your offer, but was thankful for the effort.

It was your genuine desire to help others that reflected the love of Christ so clearly to me. There are so many other stories, some funny others not, but through the ups and downs you maintained a pure heart to simply know the Father and his love, and that is how I will remember you. Josh Lantz a man recklessly pursuing the heart of Jesus.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Colby - that is the VERY picture I had on my computer as my screen saver - I love you and share in the joy - he's probably kayaking over a waterfall this minute

Anonymous said...

P.S. - I was so sorry to have missed your call - and when i realized the time you had called and where Josh was at that time... it touched me in a "deep to the core" kind of way - hard to describe, but I sure am sorry I missed talking to you, but found it an amazing treat to hear yoru voice. Love you, Dear Boy

colbycraige said...

Sohailah,

I too wish that we would have connected, let mw know what times work for you and I will try to call you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Colby for being a wonderful friend to Josh. I know you loved him and that he is in your prayers as he is in mine. We all miss him a great deal.

Anonymous said...

"a man recklessly pursuing the heart of Jesus" - I think that is the best summary of Josh I have heard. What a wonderful way to be remembered.