Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Fresh Air

Overwhelming feelings of thankfulness flowed through my body as I sat on my window seal. As I shut my eyes and took in the some fresh air, I exhaled gratitude for my friends, family and for yet another day in Spain.

One of my main worries in coming to Spain was finding community. However, my definition of community two months ago is much different than it is now. The first month I struggled with the fact that there were few Christians here. There was a feeling of "me against the world", Colby had to be strong and be a light into the darkness. As time moves forth I don't see it like that way, the reality is we are all people and we are trying to make since of the world around us and we are all in different places and canl indeed learn from oneanother.

A few of my friends sent me a few books this week, one of the is called "A New Kind of Christian" by Brian McLaren and so much of its content finds a place in much of what I have been feeling on a level that is almost scary.

On faith and others
"Instead of saying 'Hey, they're wrong and we're right, so follow u,s" I think we say, 'Here's what I've found. Here's what Ive experienced. Here's what makes since to me. I'll be glad to share it with you, if you're interested.'

Instead of conquest, instead of a coercive rational argument or an emotional intimidating sales pitch or an imposing crusade or an aggressive debate contest where we hope to 'win' them to Christ, I think of it like a dance. You know, in a dance nobody wins and nobody loses. Both parties listen to the music and try to move with it. In this case, I hear the music of the gospel, and my friend doesn't, so I try to help him hear it a move with it. And like a dance, I have to ask if the other person wants to participate. There's a term for pulling someone who doesn't want to dance: assault."


If there is one thing that I have learned about my friends here it is that they know authenticity. There have been times when I have made conversations so uncomfortable because I try to force the topic into a place that it was not naturally going. In reality, I think it was uncomfortable for me and just silly for them.

Most Europeans have had their fair share of Religion, and we have seem how counter productive it was to force it upon others, for we are still reaping to bad fruit of such an approach. I have meet people in South America, Europe and in the U.S who cannot see the beaureligiousrist because of religios people who would rather judge you and send you away than to embrace you. Was it not Jesus who said, "They will know you are my desciple by your love"? I think we have blown it and repentance is in order, for I am guilty. I have has my fill of guilt ridden spirituality damn it, I want freedom! And I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a common denominator within everyone.

Back to Community

The reality of my situation it this; my community at this point in my life is comprisoned of two wonderful French girls (Amelie and Claire) and a kind spirited German guy (Ole). Furthermore, I have friends from all over Europe who have experienced life in a way that is very different. I would do well to shut up, ask questions and listen. This is my community for this season of my life and I believe that the Father is in the middle of it all.

4 comments:

cPipe said...

"I would do well to ask questions, shut up, and listen."

I like that quote. It makes me laugh and it is true!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are developed a very good attitude about Spain and life in general. Be happy and learn for the people you meet.

Dad.

Stephen said...

I could get sarcastic, and tell you that it's your choice if you want to see your friends go to hell, and that it doesn't require much of you at all to wallpaper your apartment with bible verses, and that that would surely save your friends.

But I'm not in a sarcastic mood right now, so I'll just say that I think you are correct, and that I commented on an entry a few before this one. Say hi to all your European friends from some guy in Tulsa, OK.

Anonymous said...

sounds good. I think it is so great to get out of the tightly wrapped christian culture and live our lives freely - so much more appealing to ourselves and others. God is who He is - he will not be pressured, fit into a time line or give us responsibility that is His. I think I need to go on a trip out of this country for a while.